Thursday, October 9, 2008

Creation


I planted things today. I held rich, dark, beautiful earth in my hands and i got DIRTY.


I sprinkled tiny, miraculous seeds into the soft, imperfect rows of soil.


I felt more alive, while connecting to the earth and the process of sustaining growth, than I have in a long, long time.


Afterwards, the world seemed brighter, I felt more centered, and hope felt like a real and tangible object.


It might seem like I am putting too much beauty into something as simple as digging in the dirt and scattering some seeds around.


I challenge you to do it.


Wake up early.

Turn the soil.

Fertilize the soil.

Make rows in the soft dirt.

Cup a handful of colorful seeds.

Sprinkle them, all the while knowing exactly what will spring out of those little miracles.

Cover the seed with dirt.

Water the seeds.

Step back.

Breathe the still and fresh air.

Feel the sun and the breeze on your skin.

And know that you have taken part in something Divine.

Growth.

Creation.

Life.


And then observe the world.

See the vastness of the sky;

The depth of humanity;

Feel the ground beneath your feet;

The hope that pulsates in every human heart.

Taste the flavor of food;

The sweetness of love on your lips.

Hear Creation chirping and buzzing and blowing past you;

The sounds of interaction and longing between men and women everywhere.


Something spiritual comes to life in us when we reconnect with God's vibrant creation.


Something cold and dreary snaps in half when we are reminded of Who created us and what he created us from.


What a miracle that God made the earth capable of sustaining and nourishing us!


What a gift that we can take part in it!


As a WOMAN, I can clearly say that I am completely in awe of my Creator.


I am so moved by the greatness of His creation.


Spending an hour and a half in a garden - not even my OWN garden - was such a spiritual encounter.


I am so grateful that God has made everything around us for the purpose of communicating life to us.


So, here is the question....


How have you heard God? Where have you encountered Him?


Movies? Books? Music? Friends? Gardens? Somewhere unexpected and strange?


God is ALWAYS communicating to us. His word is alive and active. He is speaking, moving, creating.


Are we listening? Are we watching? Are we noticing?


I am so aware of how often I miss it....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in our small group on Monday night this past week, and we were talking about spiritual gifts, in 1st Corinthians chapter 12 i believe... and we were having a pretty deep discussion about it. when i felt it. like God was trying to tell me something. and i couldnt for the life of me figure out what it was... and i still feel it. like he is trying to get me to dig deeper and find the understanding that He wishes to impart. i dont think God is easy to figure out or hear all the time. sometimes i think we have to search for His meaning, like hidden treasure. and i am still trying to dig it up...

other times, He does speak so clear to me. many times through music, a song on the radio. sometimes even a secular song. like the song "up all night" by charlotte martin. i heard it the other day and just began to weep. i never realized it was about abortion before. and now i feel God moving me towards something to do with working at a crisis pregnancy center, or working somehow in some way with women who are desperate enough about their situation to consider abortion. i want to stop it! with compassion, with love, with education, with knowledge, with Truth, but i am not exactly sure WHERE God wants me in this. i am not sure yet. but i am still seeking Him on this... i am passionate about this tho. and i know He wants me to speak from my own experience to other women, to help turn the tide. I even feel the desire stir in me to write a book about what i have gone through, about my daughter's miraculous life, but i feel like its still too early yet. God still has work to do in me, and i want to wait til the right time. i am so burdened with this, though. With God's heart for the unborn. i sometimes feel like i'm about to implode. cave in on myself...

Anonymous said...

"I want to touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly!"
Dixie Chicks
In the spring when I start working in my garden, I cry. It always reminds me of the first time I planted a garden, right after the worst event of my life. Planting a garden, watching things grow, while something else was dying, is beautiful. It's a reminder of that time, every time I sink a shovel into garden soil. Remembering is good.
Thank you Stephanie for inviting me here.
Your writing is beautiful!