Monday, August 3, 2009

she is everywhere

I've watched it happen from my own house.

A young man forgets wisdom; he dismisses insight, and he walks too close to her house.

The house where she waits.

In the time of shadows and secrets she meets him, dressed as a prostitute, skilled at taking an advantage.

She is loud like a blaring commercial.

She is a wanderer, riding the waves of the internet looking for her prey.

She stands over the street, a giant billboard, tantalizing and seductive.

She is in the market, sprawled over magazine covers, half clothed and whispering.

At every corner she lies in wait.

She doesn't wait to be approached.

She seizes him and kisses him.

With a bold face she tells him,

"I've come to find you; looking everywhere to seek you.

My bed is ready and will quench your thirst.

Come, let us take our fill of "love" till morning.

My husband is gone; there is a thrill in knowing that I am never really your's.

You will never have to commit to me."

She persuades him and with smooth talk she compels him.

At once he follows her,

as an ox goes to slaughter,

or as a stag is caught fast as an arrow pierces it's liver,

as a bird rushes into a snare;

he does not know that it will cost him his life.

So, listen to me.

Cling to these words.

Don't let your heart turn aside to her ways;

do not stray into her paths,

because she will lay you low as she has done to everyone else.

Her house is only a rest stop on the way to death.


-Proverbs 7:7-27 (in my own words)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You nailed it. You move me. My heart, fear and experience is well described. Thank you for the validation Stephanie.