Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Am Weak


But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

2 Corinthians 12:9



I am weak.

It's just who I am.

I am weak in a lot of ways.

I am physically weak.

I hate to run (although when I was younger I LOVED to run).

I hate to sweat, so I despise physical activity in the summer (or in Alisa's holy yoga classes - I have no idea WHY she likes to make the room a sauna).

I don't like moving the furniture around when it's time for a change.

It's too much pushing and pulling.

I would rather sit and meditate.

I would rather sleep.

I am also emotionally weak.

I am frail.

I'm this tiny little whisper of a breath.

One little push and I'm over the edge.

I feel things in the very depths of my soul.

I will mourn and tangle myself up over any loss, on any level - even if it is not my own.

But this is why I am strong:

I will do it anyway.

I force myself to keep moving because it is good for me.

I move the furniture when I am the only one here because it has to be done.

And when I am grieving and tormented I will look my sorrow in the face and let it come.

I am very, very emotional.

Most women are.

And I am glad for it.

I'm glad that I can be so easily tripped.

It reminds me that I am still pressing my feet into the earth.

I am human, and alive, and breathing, and full of soul.

I am glad that I make myself push my body.

It reminds me to honor the life that God has created in me.

I am glad that I am weak.

It means that I can never propel myself into holiness.

It means that I can never be my own god.

And it means that I will never have to bear the weight of my humanity.

So this is my heart's cry:

Find your weakness! Celebrate it.

Surrender it.

Find joy in conquering it to the glory of God.

Be glad that we are weak.

And that He is strong.

Be glad that his invitation is to the weak and to the thirsty.

"Come."

"Drink."

"Be filled."


No comments: