Friday, April 3, 2009

We Know The Way


This morning my daughter went next door to my parent's house for breakfast and I sat out on the front porch with my 14 month old son, Judah.

We ate breakfast.

We marveled over the neighborhood cat strolling past our yard.

We laughed.

He chattered away in his baby language.

I was completely overwhelmed with the beauty of the moment.

The weather was perfect and fresh.

There were sounds of life everywhere.

It was so simple and so serene.

I was, again, reminded to just BE.

So, as it is now my "mantra", I leaned my head back and whispered, "not my way, God, but your's."

I am full to bursting with joy.

With love.

Love is everywhere.

It's like winter disappeared in the middle of the night and springtime is suddenly everywhere.

It is powerfully real.

And then my little man stood up from his little chair, waved his pudgy hand at me and said, "ba" (which means "bye").

He set off down the sidewalk towards the street and I stood up to follow him.

I was curious to see if he knew where he was going.

He would walk a few steps and stop to turn and look at me, as if he were thinking, "why are you following me? I said bye."

I followed him all the way down the sidewalk and across the prickly grass in my parent's front yard.

He walked straight to their front door and looked up at me as if to say, "Well? Are you going to open the door or what?"

This may sound like just a silly little story, but it was actually very moving to me.

Judah knew the way.

Somehow, he knew the way to his grandparent's house.

He wasn't afraid of leaving me behind or of being alone on his little journey.

He just knew that he was headed to a place where he is loved.

He must have thought of them and immediately set out.

It didn't occur to him to wait, or to ask, or to be afraid.

Judah knew what path would take him to love and he just took it.

How often in my life have I thought of the One who loved me and let fear or uncertainty keep me from running into His arms?

The Way is so simple.

It's not complicated.

But I don't always follow my heart's first instinct - to just wave goodbye and place my feet on the sidewalk that will lead me there.

Because I am so surrounded by love right now, it humbles me to wonder how long this joy has been available to me.

If I were more like Judah I may have found my way to love before now.

So, today, I am going to be like my little Judah.

Today, I'm just going to go where love leads me.

I'm going to let it pull on my heart and draw me straight into peace and hope.

I'm going to go where I'm loved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can come to my house, too!