Saturday, May 30, 2009

Aravis


So... community.

Community is constantly on my mind lately.



I've been inspired by a message I heard on a podcast about Lamentations.
The man speaking was repeating the line, "Who can heal us?" from that particular book.

My 4 year old daughter responded every time with a firm nod of her wild, blond head and a determined, "God."

Pure and simple.


Cut and dry.


No questions and no need for explanation.


Do you know why she knows this?

She knows that only God can heal us because she is so surrounded by men and women and children that breathe out the pure and familiar reality of
Yeshua of Nazareth with every exhale.

Her entire view of hope and life and functioning are being shaped by the village that is raising her.

She is told she is smart and beautiful and funny every day of her life. She is held and soothed and made valuable by more people than I can count. Grown ups look into her eyes and listen to her thoughts and ideas without mocking her or making her feel foolish.

She is watching the women who fill her life and learning how to be a woman.
She is learning patience and truth and beauty. She is learning strength and humility and powerful love.

She is watching the men in her life and learning how a woman should be treated.
She is learning value and honor and protection. She is learning to love without hindrance.

Aravis is beginning to live up to her name.

Her name is taken from the C.S. Lewis book,
The Horse and His Boy. Aravis means "One who walks with the Lion."

The Lion is
Aslan. Jesus.

Aravis
has no doubt in her mind that God alone can heal us. She has no idea, at this point in her life, that anyone would believe any differently. She only knows what her community has taught her.

She only knows that Jesus is the only Way.


She walks with God because the people who are shaping her walk with God.


And I am so, so thankful for the people who make up our community.

I am thankful for the way my children are loved and protected.


I am thankful for the people who have carried us to the feet of Jesus.


I am thankful for the people who have stuck by us when we were falling apart.

I am thankful for the joy that now overwhelms us.


With a giant, loud, relinquishing exhale I can only say,


"Thank you...
"

No comments: