Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fearless



In Holy Yoga we practice several Mudras. A mudra is a positioning of the hands used to direct the flow of energy.

Mudras are significant...

Because the hands are the last thing anyone is thinking about. Everyone focuses first on the positioning of the body, on the breath, and on the intention of the practice.

The hands are forgotten. And the posture is left unfinished. The fingertips hang without any attention given to them at all.

But, when we place our awareness on something so small, yet so powerful, it changes our practice. Mudras really do change the energy of the posture. There is a sense of power, of fire, of upward lifting, of encouragement - in simply extending your fingertips.

And are we ever really aware of what our hands are doing?

We wander around on our giant planet, living our individual lives, dumping our energy into nothingness.

We don't give much attention to where we direct our energy. We just get the job done. We just DO.

And all that energy is pouring out of us all of the time.

We position ourselves to run the race... but we don't have any energy left.

If you're anything like me, you are often clenching your fists tight; refusing to relinquish control.

The mudra of my life is often one of retaining. I am too afraid to stretch my fingers open...

To let go of the things I love.

I hold my kids, my marriage, my friendships, my holy yoga practice, my position in holy yoga - ALL of it - in the tight grip of my closed fists.

God has been using sorrow to pry my fingers apart. He has been gently and firmly asking me to let go.

And it is only in brokenness that I can even consider another life mudra.

I really don't want to resist God. I really don't want to try to control, or hold, everything so tightly.

I want to be King David - when someone moves against me to take something I love...

Can I say, "God gave it to me. He can take it away if he wants. It's not mine to fight for."

Can I spread my fingers wide, press my palms to the sun, savor the feeling of those tiny grains of sand spilling through my fingers?

Can I bring my awareness to my hands?

Can I stand with a fearless mudra, radiating surrender... peace from every single fingertip?

Tonight someone quoted St Augustine...

"God is always trying to give good things to us, but our hands are too full to receive them."

My hands are overflowing.

And, everywhere I turn, I can hear God offering me something better.

I just have to open my hands. I have to be intentional.

A person of intention.

So.

Fearless hands. Fearless, open, brilliant hands.

And back to the original calling.

Be free.

1 comment:

Robin Norgren-Life Coach Living in Arizona said...

Excellent post and beautifully said. Hands are so beautiful to look at; the stories they tell. Now taking that into my yoga practice-I will need to be more intentional about that.