Friday, October 29, 2010

Breech


I'm almost 34 weeks and little miss Daisy Belle is breech. It took me a few days to process how I felt about her position because I've never had a baby NOT dive head first as soon as they could! She obviously has LOTS of time left to turn and, trust me, she is an ACTIVE baby. Sometimes I wonder if she's trying to figure out how to turn around... or maybe she's an active zumba-ist like her Grandma Cookie. She definitely responds to music... and her family's voices. Daisy will kick and poke and squirm when she hears her daddy's voice, but she LOVES her brother's and sister's voices. It must be those gentle and soft little words of love and excitement traveling through the amniotic fluid to her tiny little ears. She is so responsive to love - and she doesn't have any idea who they are or what the world outside of the womb is like.

I've been dreaming about Daisy a lot. My midwife says that she believes that Daisy's dreams are connected to my dreams since we are so very connected right now. I dream about birthing her, holding her, seeing her smile, and even about holding her tiny hand through my belly. It might be a little weird, but it's also so comforting. I've never dreamt such deep and real dreams about my babies before they were born. And, considering how disconnected I felt from her at the beginning of my pregnancy, it is such a gift to feel like I already know Daisy and she already knows me.

I've also not felt even a moment of anxiety about being done with this pregnancy. Everything has flown by so quickly - I know I will be in labor before I know it. So, I'm just living in the moment. I'm preparing for her arrival, dreaming about her and enjoying my kids and husband before Daisy changes us forever.


My midwife suggested I read up about breech births and watch any videos I can find. She says some babies are meant to be born breech and if Daisy doesn't turn she isn't worried. So, I've been researching ways to try to get her to turn and watching youtube videos of natural breech homebirths just to prepare for the possibility of a breech birth. It's actually amazing to watch a baby being born feet first. I've heard it's more painful - but doesn't every unmedicated birth hurt? I'm finding that I am really not afraid of the pain this time. The pain of childbirth has never been the end of me. In fact, it has produced such joy, such comfort, such accomplishment. The reward far outweighs the suffering. Story of my life :)


Aravis wants to celebrate Daisy's birthday. It has never occured to me to celebrate a birth, but I love the idea. We're thinking of ways to celebrate Daisy's first moments. Obviously we're looking for ways to celebrate that don't involve mama getting out of bed :) If you have any suggestions send them my way! We can't wait to celebrate our tiny baby!

2 comments:

Heather J said...

love it. Glad you are in a sweet place of trust and joy :)

Dara said...

We celebrated Zao's true BirthDay with chocolate cake and and "0" candle, lol! We also had our favorite meal for us and the birth team to eat, and it was fun.

I am so glad you are living in the moment and bonding with Daisy as you are. Such a blessing!

My natural childbirth with Z had painful times, but looking back, I would not use the word "pain" to describe the birth as a whole. Maybe one day we can talk about that, lol!

Be at peace, and be encouraged. Daisy's birth will be all it needs to be. <3