Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I'm Learning....

Things I've learned about life since Daisy:

1. Some newborns DO sleep well at night - time to stop hating all those mamas with easy newborns since I seem to now be one...

2. Three is better than two. I loved being a mama to my two kids and, somehow, adding one more makes things fantastically even better.

3. Family is necessary for survival. If not for my husband, mama and dad helping me (aka: doing everything for me) right now I would probably never recover ;)

4. Patience. I want to get up out of bed and clean and play and work out and go shopping and get my nails done and organize the house.... I'm really really trying to respect my midwife's orders to stay in bed for 7-10 days. It's an eternity.

5. Surrender. I may have given birth, but my uterus is still large and in charge. First there are the afterpains making me feel like I am in the middle of having my period aaaand... let's be honest. My baby is 5 days old. I still look 4 months pregnant. But it's okay.... I think. I seem to have some new appreciation for the hard work my belly has done over the past 10 months. For some reason it's easier to surrender to the fact that it is what it is right now. Ask me again next week ;)

6. It's okay to lock the door and hide out for a little while. I'm finding that I need a little more time to just adjust and soak in my new little family than I thought I would. My kids are still getting used to everything - hell, I'M still getting used to everything! We've decided to not receive visitors until next week. It's like a big, heaving sigh of relief. Plus, it will make next week all the more fun!

7. Laundry. If I thought it was out of control BEFORE we added a newborn to the mix, I was surely mistaken. My poor mama has been switching load after load of clothes, cloth diapers and towels since yesterday morning. And, due to Daisy's tinkle accident this morning, I'm about to add my sheets to the pile.

8. Which leads me to cloth diapers. I LOVE THEM. I am kicking myself for not using them all along! Daisy has been in cloth all five days of her life and, not only are they easy, but they are saving the planet! Yay for cloth!

Is there anything more spiritual than new life? Everything she does seems so Divine and beautiful. Every breath is so perfectly sustained by the Creator and I am so, so thankful to be Daisy's mama.

No comments: