Thursday, December 30, 2010

Yes, We Are One Of "Those" Families

My babies are always born smack in the middle of RSV season. Ugh. In fact, Judah actually HAD RSV when he was a month old. It was a scary, exhausting experience which included a hospital visit and lots of breathing treatments, followed by a year of respiratory issues and weird sensitivities to EVERYTHING.

So, I'm obviously wanting to avoid the sickies with Daisy. Clearly, I can't control EVERYTHING, but I can limit her exposure to germies for the first few months. I may seem like a crazy mama, but I just don't care. ;)

We've set up some boundaries for the sake of Daisy. We're actually not letting anyone hold or touch her right now (outside of the people who live in our house). When someone DOES hold her they must wash their hands first. When the kids (or adults) go to the park, or other heavily populated places, they have to take a shower and change their clothes as soon as they get home. We're all taking grapefruit seed extract, elderberry, vitamin d and multi vitamins. And, finally, I'm making sure Daisy is getting as much breast milk as her little heart desires.

This is how we fight the flu in this house. We're not rushing out for flu vaccines. We're just being careful and responsible with our exposure to the germs that are floating around our world right now. Obviously these aren't permanent rules. I'm aware that some germs are necessary for immune boosting and SOMEDAY Daisy will get sick. We just need to get through the nasty season.

I want to know - how does YOUR family fight flu/RSV season?

7 comments:

Christina said...

I do everything you do, but add probiodics even for the baby. I also am looking into giving my baby a liquid form of vitamin D. Especially in the winter they don't get enough exposer to sun and there is not a ton of research about how much vitamin D is actually passed on through the breastmilk.

stephanie moors said...

oh! i forgot about probiotics! we do that too.... although not straight to the baby. did you do that when joey was teeny tiny? we have liquid vit d. i've never heard that, but it makes sense! i'll ask dr. matt about it.

Stephanie said...

We also do Thymactiv (supports thymus function), nasal sinus spray (once Dia was a few months old), and the humidifier/vaporizer at night (every night when the heater's on). Plus try to play a lot outside for fresh air and sunshine, of course. We also do this awesome super easy treatment called "Wet Socks." It sounds kooky, but we love it and it gets that immune system a workin'! And I know you already are up on this one, but chiropractic is also helpful.

And if by "one of those families," you mean the kind that take their health and the health of their loved ones seriously and teach that not just in word but in action and deed as well, then more power to ya! :) If their health isn't our priority, then how can they be? You're in good company :)

nicnac said...

I did Vit D from day one, and probiotics on Luca's pasi too. My midwife said Vitamin D up to 2000 a day is perfectly fine for infants. probiotics I just rolled his pasi in it once or twice a day. Taking it yourself doesn't really get into the breastmilk much, Vitamin D for sure doesnt which is why pediatricians recommend at least 400 a day anyway...

Meredith said...

Sounds about like what we do! Josh & Zach were both born near or in RSV season and we did pretty much the same things. Joel becomes "mean daddy" when we have a little one in the house, lol.

stephanie moors said...

steph, what is wet socks????
nic, great idea with the probiotics!!!
meredith, i know what you mean :)

Anonymous said...

I started probiotics at 2 months! They have special ones just for babies! I put it directly on my breast before BF or i give her a bottle with it in there. Also when the girls get sick I double the probiotics they take and I triple mine!