Thursday, December 16, 2010

My family is full of Narnia fanatics. Hence my daughter's first name - Aravis (The Horse and His Boy). We make every new Narnia movie an event and, gigantically pregnant or not, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader could not be ignored. So we planned ahead (all those different schedules make this very hard) and went to see it tonight. My kids were excited because #1 they know that Aravis' name originates in the series, #2 there is a dragon in the story and #3 Judah is pretty sure Jesus turns into a lion. It was exceptionally fun and we loved the movie (especially because we were all together AND my aunt and cousin happen to be in town as well).

I had a moment in the movie. I love when movies speak to me....

King Caspian realizes that he has been so consumed with what was taken from him that he has overlooked what was given to him. Time stood still for me for a second and I looked over at my little boy sitting on his uncle's lap. I realized that what was given to me in Judah's birth was so much greater than what was taken from me. Yes, I was robbed. I was wounded and traumatized. But I walked away with the most amazing little boy who has filled my life with immeasurable joy. He has been so used by God to remind me what it feels like to be LOVED. He is sensitive and funny. he is healthy and whole. He is smart and engaging. He is beautiful in so many different ways.

I've said it before, but it truly resonates in me now, Judah was worth the price I paid to have him. I wouldn't trade a single second of that entire experience simply because he was the reward.

And, even if Daisy's birth is equally as traumatic I will certainly rejoice in the gift that is my daughter.

That makes it all just a little less scary...

3 comments:

BlackPhi said...

Thank you for this post. The price, though high, has been paid; the gift remains. Not always easy to remember though.

I hadn't planned to go to the new Narnia movie, but now I think I will :)

stephanie moors said...

and the gift was 100% worth it :)
the movie was worth it to....

Dara said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.