Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Be Free


Be free.

I am having to read my left wrist a lot these days.

It’s a good thing it’s permanently etched into my skin.

I’ve already committed to it. Now I have to follow through on it.

Freedom.

The free life.

Today the free life means a peaceful life.

It mostly means the kind of peace you find in the very center of a storm.

It’s like being inside, next to a warm, crackling fire, while the storm beats down on the solid roof above you and against the watertight walls around you.

This kind of peace is a sense that, although something powerful and out of your control is happening right then and there, you are untouched and fiercely guarded.

I am going to have to CHOOSE peace. I am going to have to choose to be free.

And it is really hard. Mostly because I just want to lay in bed and watch reruns of The Office until the storm passes. I want to cry. I want to clean every corner and baseboard in my house. I want to run a marathon. I want to climb a mountain and stay there.

I want to do anything but deal with it. I’m tired of dealing with it. And, at this point, I’m standing outside getting soaked by the storm.

So, really, I’ve got to make the choice to go back inside and shut the door; to let the storm be what it is.

When this is all over will I walk away with freedom or with bondage?

Will I choose to be what is expected of me, or what I am called to be?

Be free.

No comments: