Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Freedom


When I found Holy Yoga I was in a space in life where secular yoga was a battle for me. I walked right into Holy Yoga with a deep sigh of relief. No more battling the chanting and self-worship. No more googling the meanings of sanskrit words.

This was a new space. This was a safe place where I could trust the practice. I have been fed and nourished and healed through Holy Yoga for the past three years.

It makes me laugh when I hear the arguments against Holy Yoga. When you actually take a Holy Yoga class it is brilliantly clear that Jesus is IN this. The practice becomes something new; something that classical yoga will always reach for and never touch. It becomes about surrender; not to self or to an unknown divine, but to a Holy and Powerful God. It is a still and restful place. It is symbolic and beautiful. It requires an opening of that carefully guarded heart space to the gentle hands of the Creator. There is too much Jesus to ever let it be about a person. It is truly HOLY yoga.

That being said, I have entered a new space in life. After three years of exclusively practicing Holy Yoga, I have ventured back into the world of classical yoga. This time I am armed. I take off my shoes and lay down my mat. I breath deep and full. I flow. And this IS Holy Yoga.

The words of the instructor are filtered through the deep-set truth of Love that surrounds me. I set my intention on surrendering to the Holy Spirit through every posture and with every breath.

My practice is growing. So am I. I am finding Jesus in a yoga studio, far from the secure arms of a church building.

Now, I am so aware that this will not be for everyone. Some of us may never feel the freedom to step foot in another studio again. And so they should not.

God provides the right spaces for us all. He speaks to us in different ways. He knows our limits and what would harm us rather than do us good.

For me, in this season, He is allowing the practice of Holy Yoga to be a condition of my heart, instead of the style of yoga I practice. And it is healing me.

So great is His love....

And I am loving it.

No comments: